Delicious chocolate cake recipe
This chocolate cake is the perfect afternoon treat, and quick and easy to make!
50g cocoa powder
6 tablespoons boiling water
3 large eggs
175g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
100g butter (softened)
275g caster sugar
Ingredients: Icing, filling and decorations
150g milk cooking chocolate
150ml double cream
Sprinkles, maltesers, white chocolate chips or anything else fun!
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Grease two 20 cm deep sandwich tins then line the base of each tin with baking parchment.
- Mix the cocoa and boiling water in a large bowl then add the remaining cake ingredients and beat until the mixture has become a smooth. Divide the cake mix equally between the prepared tins and level the surface.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25–30 minutes. Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes then turn out, to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, break the chocolate into pieces and gently heat with the cream in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water for about 10 minutes, until the chocolate has melted, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and stir the chocolate mixture to make sure it has completely melted. Leave to cool until it is on the point of setting then spread on the top of both layers. Sandwich the cakes together and smooth the icing on the top. Sprinkle over your decorations- and enjoy!
Make a life-changing difference with cake!
Your baking can help grant wishes for the six kids a day diagnosed with a critical illness.
It couldn’t be easier to Bake A Wish - raise money with a simple cake sale at work or with a cosy afternoon tea with friends. Your fundraising will make a huge difference to kids and their families across Australia.